St. Philip Neri - Our Church


St. Philip Neri Church

SAINT PHILIP NERI, CONFESSOR—1515-1595

1885

First parish established in Alameda (now the Basilica of St. Joseph).

1925

Archbishop Edward Hanna of San Francisco authorizes two additional churches in Alameda, St. Philip Neri and St. Barnabus. Fr. Maurice O'Keefe is the first and founding pastor appointed.

1926

Italian Catholic Federation Branch #10 is established on 5/26/26.

1928

Construction of the new church (now O'Brien Hall) begins. Mass was conducted in one of the homes on High Street.

1938

St. Philip Neri's conference established of St. Vincent DePaul Society on 10/28/38.

1941

Drive begins to build a new church (existing church on Van Buren).

1953

Rosarian Sodality formed 1/5/53.

1959

St. Philip Neri School opens (grades 1-4) with 200 children under the direction of The Sisters of Notre Dame. The schools "Mothers Guild" (now the PTG) has their first meeting 12/16/59. The new convent opens. Construction completed on the new church (Van Buren Street).

1963

School grows to 8 grades. First meeting held by the Legion of Mary.

1964

First graduating 8th grade class at St. Philip Neri School.

1971

First parish council appointed.

1972

St. Philip Neri becomes "mother" parish to St. Albert's by providing funds for property on Bay Farm
Island.

1973

Fr. Patrick O'Brien appointed Monsignor.

1974

The Sisters of Notre Dame order recalled from St. Philip Neri School due to a personnel shortage and
replaced by the Dominican Sisters. Rosarians assist with refurbishing the 15 year old convent.

1975

The church is completely refurbished including new stained glass windows. The school was enhanced
with two new rooms. The first Fun Fair was held. Golden Jubilee Mass celebrated 10/19/1975.

1976

Bingo opens its doors for their first game.

 

1980

Hall expanded and named in honor of Monsignor O'Brien.

1982

New pipe organ purchased for the church.

1983

Kindergarten open at St. Philip Neri School.

1996

Interior colors of the church were changed during repainting.

1996

Youth ministry begins as a coordinated ministry between the four Catholic churches of Alameda.

1999

 

 

2000

 

2005

 

2010

Celebration of the 50th anniversary of the School

 

 

Succession of Pastors

1925-1928

Father Maurice O'Keefe

1928-1943

Father Robert J. O'Connor

1943-1952

Father Harold A. Crampton

1953-1955

FatherTimothy F. O'Connor Administrator

1955-1976

Monsignor Patrick J. O'Brien

1976-1985

Father Gary B. Tollner

1985-1990

Father Raymond G. Breton

1990-1998

Father Jerrold F. Kennedy

1998-2001

Father James B. Pickett

2001-2008

Father Vincent J. Cotter

2008-present

Father Joy Kumarthusseril, mf


full column bottom